Pages

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Loosing Track

I am confirming something I think I already knew; I can't play multiple MMOs.  I'm trying to play Guild Wars 2 and on Saturday I just couldn't remember the path I set in-game.  The fact that I'm only playing one day a week doesn't help.  Usually when I play a game I play every day.  I thought I had broken the cycle of depending on playing a game every day with Eve Online.  Over the course of the past two years I've taken business trips where I have not even logged into the game for 2 or 3 weeks.  When I got back I just picked up where I left off.

Is Eve special in some way?  I guess the advent of the skills queue and EveMon helps.  With EveMon I set up a training plan for a year at a time.  In other games skills advancement is based on actually playing the game, which in the case of GW2 has meant a lot of grinding.  Grinding breaks the flow of the quest trail (another feature missing in Eve) and then I forget where I am when I log back in a week later.

Another feature is the crafting system.  In Eve, everything ship and ship mod (excluding rigs) needs tritanium, the first mineral a new player in Eve can extract.  Other games make players collect different base metals depending on the tier of content.  Guild Wars 2 is even more complicated with its discovery system.  Don't get me wrong, I like it better than the crafting in other games.  The system actually reminds me of the tech 2 production chain, except less complicated.  But I keep forgetting what I want to accomplish.

I think the big difference is in Eve I don't have to worry about doing things to advance my characters abilities in-game.  That leaves me free to pursue things I want to do, like bookmark low security systems or scan down signatures, without feeling I'm somehow falling behind.  With every other game I almost have to log in every day just to keep the momentum up to advance my character.  Trying to only play once a week feels strange.  The only game I've really succeeded in doing that is Eve.

With no subscription fee, I can go back to Guild Wars 2 anytime I like.  I do want to continue the experiment to see if I can play a game for one 2-3 hour play session a week.  Maybe I can figure out how to yet.

5 comments:

  1. I have the same problem. Eve is the only subscription MMO that I play. I like GW2 and World of Tanks because I can jump into them for a bit in order to recharge my Eve batteries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. I play Aion to run around in the pretty environment. I have Eve up for chats or incase someone needs me. I can't play longer then an hour or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Losing Track. Don't make me put a bounty on you!

    https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1992905#post1992905

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I get for writing my post on the train.

      Delete
  4. For me its single player games,most steam one, skyrim,deus ex and so many other, they help to compensate the lack of MMO juice I need, Now exclusively EVE on line , but since I am out of net at home for the last 2 weeks I have no other choice.

    But its impossible to keep track of 2 MMO at the same time, no mater the type, mmo require lots of time invested to fully enjoy even EVE. But it also depends on you free time or job.

    ReplyDelete